First post, old member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First post, old member

What’s up fellas! Been a while since I’ve visited here, forgot all my login info so I had to start from scratch! Anyway, I recently had my smoker sandblasted and repainted (just the outside, didn’t touch the inside), done a few burn ins and had my first smoke on it today, with that being said; the food had a grainy feel and a kind of bitter taste to it. Any help or solutions would be greatly appreciated

Oh lord!

I am rehabbing my stick burner!

did you give your smoker a good 500F for 3hr?

Glad your back!
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks! If you’re referring to temp, on the first burn in I went between 300-400 for about 4-5 hours. The second burn I went with a hotter burn then sprayed with cooking oil once it got below 300

Comment

Welcome back, if you PM me what you thing would have been your old email I can look it up and see if we can recover your account.
        Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Low n slow3891 View Post
          Thanks! If you’re referring to temp, on the first burn in I went between 300-400 for about 4-5 hours. The second burn I went with a hotter burn then sprayed with cooking oil once it got below 300
          what oil exactly
          I am doing fresh lard in my burn in
          sigpic

Comment

Welcome back.
            Craig
            sigpic

Comment

Okay I will take a stab at this. Please don't kill the messenger

Bitter = creosote

grit = ash carry over or the seasoning layer failing.

In my mind I am visioning too much air flow and to much smoke. May be even high temps.

First lets discuss seasoning of our smokers. At least once a year I rinse the inside of the smoker with a good stream of water to knock down all the loose stuff that could fall into my food and do a season run. This layer of seasoning goodness dries out over the winter or a period no use. that good be a part of the grit issue.

Second I have noticed during runs that I feel like I am losing the smoker temps I try to recover to quickly and stoke the fires a little heavy trying to recover. this results in more air flow being drawn thru the smoker. Next thing I know I adjust my coal bed and add more coal or a chunk for smoke and wham, ash carryover. Thats grit too.

Lets go back to losing the smoker again. This can cause a low flow, high smoke condition. This is in creosote carryover from uneffective burning of fuel.

My solution, I never start the season with a cook of foods. It is always an empty smoker run to practice maintaining temps and air flow.

I hope this helps.

Good luck

PS - I never do a high temperature run. Most of my smokers, maybe all of my smokers barely break 300°F.
              Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

bitter food? Grainy? I'm betting you have a bunch of creosote flaking off and/or you are running way too much smoke. Clean that interior with a good wire brush and try it again. Keep your airflow strong. If it's too slow you can get ash falling on your food as well. Take some pics of your smoker and we can all chime in our opinions.
                sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Marcus, great minds think alike!
                  sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Originally posted by jwbtulsa View Post
                    Marcus, great minds think alike!
                    Of course we do. Once a sailor, always a sailor....

sigpic

Comment

I use my smoker year round, I used it less than 2 weeks prior to sending it off. Once I got it back I knocked off and swept out any and all that fell off, did a hot burn in first then, went back and started with another hot burn and once it got below 300 I started spraying with cooking oil for a few hours. I did have a new charcoal grate made that sits a little higher therefore resulting in more airflow. I’ve had this pit for 10 years and have never had a taste or feel like this come off of it

Comment

Like I said dont kill the messenger....

sigpic

Comment

First thing I thought of when you said grainy is sandblast sand. could the bitter taste be burning paint being sucked into the air intake?
                          Just throwing some stuff out there.
                          sigpic

Comment

Same thing I was thinking as far as it being grainy. I did a couple of burn ins before cooking on it. Any ideas on correcting this would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

Pressure wash the inside real good... sounds like you got sand in there.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Working...
                              X