Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Picked up new charcoal basket for the outlaw.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked up new charcoal basket for the outlaw.

Now since my bradley went up in flames. I've been smoking in my chargriller outlaw. Works well with one exception.
    I had a really crappy charcoal basket that I made out of some thin scrap expanded metal mesh (top of a disposable grill).
    It's not really big enough and top temps are around 200.

I was wandering through one of the local discount stores today and found my new multi-section stainless steel charcoal basket. It was expensive But I decided to splurge (just over $4).

Yep it's a 4 section cutlery drawer insert.
    I figure that gives me 4 different base temps from jerky low probably up to around 300-350 with all 4 sections filled with charcoal.
    I'm well chuffed :-)
    Attached Files
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Looks good to me big spender.
    Chargriller Pro w. sfb
    Ducane 4100 propane grill
    Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

well you got to splash out every now and then :-)
      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Hmm any bets on the over/under on how long that will last at at 1100°?
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

no idea what you're talking about - but if it falls apart, I'll wire it together again :-)
          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Great score CA. Splash away Bud... lol
            ---------------------------------------------------
            I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
            ---------------------------------------------------
            KCBS CBJ

Comment

Keep us informed on the results of the new basket... I am very interested!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                Hmm any bets on the over/under on how long that will last at at 1100°?
                Ooh, ooh, me Mr. Tee, pick me Mr. Tee! 13 seconds?

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                  Allright Tommy- Yes? Thank you for raising your hand. 13 Seconds? I'll take the over... 13 mins...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

nah de nah de nah nah !
                    (to rich and tom lol)

field tested the cutlery drawer yesterday. filled all 4 sections and lit one.
                    as I expected once that section was going it gradually worked it's way across into the other sections. Once the first 2 sections were looking a bit low (outlaw running steady at 225+) I put the remaining coals in the third compartment and refilled the other two and it reversed direction. I can fill the top section for a higher temp too.
                    thermo on the outlaw was around 225 all afternoon. the back and forwards burning works well, very quick and easy to refill and very little loss of temps.

And rich you'll be surprised to know that all the joints are fine. some of the shiny silver is discoloured, but no sign of anything melting, feels as solid as when i got it :-)

Currently I've got one section going with a chunk of oak smoking next to it, running at around 160 with 5lb of chinese rib flavour pork snackstix in :-) (pics and recipe when they're done)
                    I figure I'll give them 4 hours in the smoke and then 3-4 in the dehydrator.
                    All I do to keep it going is just fill the next compartment when the current one is running low.

Serious improvement on my previous arrangement and I reckon I can run it hot and consistent enough for ribs and pp now.

for today I'll stick with snackstix :-)

Next job - cold smoking in the outlaw. Might be able to get away with a solder iron smoke gun for that.

But dead pleased with my new basket.
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                      nah de nah de nah nah !
                      (to rich and tom lol)
                      And rich you'll be surprised to know that all the joints are fine. some of the shiny silver is discoloured, but no sign of anything melting, feels as solid as when i got it :-)
                      Well, good! I still have doubts on overall longevity, but if it lasts a few months or a year, what the heck, it's worth the price. You using lump or bricks? Bricks are several hundred degrees lower than lump in burn temps.

Comment

lumpwood charcoal.

I used to use briquettes but the evil chemical smoke they initially give off has out me off using them for smoking.
                        Very much doubt I'll go back to using them any time soon.

Plus We bought about 20 15kg bags of lump for the pig in the summer, used 6.
                        I've got enough lump to last me well into next year no problem and I only took 4 bags due to storage space lol
                        Hell If I run out I can always get some more from ian, not like he's going to use it over the winter :-)
                        Couple of packs of snackstix ought to do the trick.

yep £2:50 every few months on charcoal basket I could live with. But I don't think it'll fall apart, no sign of anything this morning and i looked quite hard.
                        Right off to see if it needs feeding :-)
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                          for the record they last a year before I replace them - at that point the mesh is starting to just come apart. The old one is then used on top of a metal bowl filled with twisted newspaper, as a charcoal 'chimney'. To light my starter charcoal :-)
                          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                            for the record they last a year before I replace them -
                            Sounds like you got your 4 bucks worth out of them!
                            Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                            Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                            1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                            Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                            Weber Smokey Joe
                            Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                            Pink Thermapen
                            Purple Thermapen

Comment

yep certainly do :-)
                              Just call me 'One Grind'