Rolling The Triple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolling The Triple

After the disaster on saturday I just wanted to get a fatty cooked an eaten.

So I thought: 'why make three fatties when i could just make 1 long fatty with three different fillings !'
    It was a lightbulb moment :-)

I stuck to the same fillings I had on saturday:
    1) French's Mustard and sweet pickled red cabbage.
    2) Oinions, peppers, mushrooms cooked in butter and topped with grated stilton.
    3) Sun dried tomato's, feta cheese and garlic marinated olives.

I bought some shoulder steaks - you keep asking me so here's what they are:

Basically it's boned, skinned pork shoulder with most of the fat removed.
    Ideal for sausage meat as there's just no processing and no waste. I just chop, season and grind. And once you've subtracted the weight of skin and fat from a butt, it's cheaper too.

Made sausage meat from the steaks: worked out to just over 1 1/2 lb. Used home smoked paprika (I'll tell you now that's the only smoked component here - time was short and I'm smokerless at the moment), cbp, garlic, seasalt and port for seasoning and coarse ground (seems to hold together better than fine ground).

I Laid out my clingfilm lenghthwise - to give me more width than usual, and pressed most of the sausage meat into a long oblong. I then used the rest to form 2 baffles that effectively split the fatty into 3 segments. When rolled these baffles merge and form a solid barrier between the fillings (worked too !)

I then added the fillings exactly as I did on saturday:

Folded it over carefully and rolled. Diidn't make a great job of sealing the join and that and the fact that it went straight into the oven after rolling without any rest period, is why the cabbage end split a little :-)

Cooked it bottom of the oven on a low heat for about hour and a half, until the centre hit 160. Very little liquid came out and it looked and smelled pretty fantastic coming out of the oven.
    Let it rest for a short while and then probed with a skewer and cut along the baffles. I now had three small fattys with different fillings in each :-)

Sliced and plated up with leftover potato salad and garlic bread.

Damn fine repast if I do say so myself :-)

Now given you lot your north american propensity for adding waffles and the like to a fatty. You could simply add a central baffle and have your full on brekkie fatty with bacon, eggs, hash browns etc one end and the waffles, cinnamon and blueberry whatnot the other end :-)
    Me I'll stick to different savoury fillings for the time being.

I'm sorry it wasn't smoked - but circumstances were against me on this one, the next one will be.
    That said, It was all bloody tasty and definitely not the last oven fatty I'll be cooking (ah, and you were doing so well up to that point lol).

Anyway enjoy :-)
    Attached Files
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

I kind of like the idea of rolling them end-to-end. I will have to add that to my fattie rolling arsenal.
    KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Holy points Alex!
      Baffles and three fatties in one? I was reading this in amazment, how clever!!
      I can not get over how perfect it came out!!! Well done mate!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

good thinking alex...

sigpic

Comment

Looks great, CA!! That's fatty production using economies of scale.

Regardless of how they came out, I had to give you points as soon as I read the term "sausage baffle".

Dave
          CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
          UDS 1.0
          Afterburner
          Weber Performer
          Blue Thermapen
          Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
          Auber Smoker Controller
          Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
          -
          "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

cheers for comments folks :-)
            and it was much quicker to make than three small fatties would have been.

so I guess the thing now is to come up with the best/weirdest combination of fillings :-)

good thinking alex...
            nah, he had nothing to do with it - aardvarks all the way ;-)
            Last edited by curious aardvark; 05-22-2009, 05:03 PM.
            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
            X