The curious aardvark high volume long lasting cold smoke generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The curious aardvark high volume long lasting cold smoke generator

So I finally cracked cold smoke generation via smouldering sawdust. But needed more smoke.

So I decided to make my own. I like the labyinth style, the ss mesh and the tealight method. So decided to build a much larger version of the pro-q.

Started with the same SS cutlery tray I use as I firebasket in the outlaw.
    Four linked compartments that I could easily modify.

For the mesh I bought a bunch of frying pan splatter guards from the poundshop. Also bought the wire snips and the wire from there as well. Total cost for the build was £9 ($14)
    I removed the mesh from the guards and cut it to size and then bound it into the cutlery tray with the wire.
    And let me tell you that fine mesh wire is sharp !
    After a couple of hours I felt like I'd been juggling hedgehogs (sort of a small porcupine).

Here's what I used.

The first section and the test burn.

Now it does generate a 'bit' more heat than the pro-q - so I probably should not have sat it on a plastic rubbish bin for the test burn

The hardest bits were going round the 'corners'. As these were generally 2-3 layes thick I made the first one and had another testburn.

Second pic also shows how easy it is to clean the burnt bits. Just use a fairly stiff paintbrush.
    The corner burn was a success and also highlighted the fact that I could cut out a small section of the basket's side and light with tea candle from anywhere on the edge If I want to.

Now I'd like to say I worked out a quick and simple method of doing the corners - as they were the only tricky part. But each one was done slightly differently to the others. No system as yet :-) If I ever make a second one I might work out how to do it systematically

So the finished item:

Compared to the pro-q

I don't yet know how much sawdust this thing takes. But given that the corner test burn took 3-4 hours. I'm confident that it will burn without interference for at least 12 hours, maybe a lot longer. And it does generate sufficient smoke for the outlaws 1000 square inch's and in all probability would be sufficient for a small shed sized smoke house.

It might cost a bit more than an AMS or pro-q to run, but the amount of stuff you can smoke in one go more than makes up for that I think :-)

And obviously you don't have to load all 4 trays - anything from 1-4 depending on the length of burn you're after.

Haven't tried a full burn yet - waiting for a day I'm going to be around all day.
    Let you know how it goes when I do :-)

Continues here
    Attached Files
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 05-09-2012, 10:55 AM.
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

oh yeah - anyone got a use for these :-)
    A 'clean' use

Attached Files
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
      A 'clean' use

I see a "ring of fire" juggling act being worked out...
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Needlepoint maybe. Or set them out at different yardage for some sling practice. I remember one of my jobs as a kid was to clean my dads woodshop. I use to burn all the scraps, but the dust was my favorite pouring it high above the fire mixed with some magnesium shavings from the lathe.

Comment

A 'clean' use

Big-assed magnifying glasses?

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Just noticed the Aardvark pic on your wall

Comment

Great idea for the cold smoke CA.

Might just have to make one of those for myself.
              Chargriller Pro w. sfb
              Ducane 4100 propane grill
              Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

You could dip the rings in soapy water and make giant bubbles
                Scarbelly

Comment

Originally posted by Scarbelly View Post
                  Yeah...get a helper or two- and do a bubble popping vid with the sling
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

WOW! .... Nice job Alex ..... I don't think there is enough sawdust in Washington State to fill that baby though...
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                      WOW! ..I don't think there is enough sawdust in Washington State to fill that baby....
                      that's what i was thinkin........nice way to find a solution.
                      sigpic
                      it's all good my friend..........

Comment

A 'clean' use

Cut off the handles and join the circus?
                        sigpic

Don't let your meat loaf...

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...view=slideshow

Comment

CA, i been talking with Todd a bit on a bigger AMS, i am looking gor something that will go say 24 hours... anyway discusion got into making something with wider or deeper paths to the maze, now i havent tried it yet but from what he said you really cant go much wider or deeper than the AMS cause the intensified heat from the bigger burn area would set off the next leg alongside of it... Be interesting to see your work with a full charge of sawdust and see how it takes it or if it jumps over and you dont get the full burn time you expect... i suppose one could, if that problem arises, re-engineer it with a gap between maze legs as a fire break... try it out and let me know cause i looking at smokin some bacon and hams and want to go into multi day coldsmokes and trying to work something up that goes 24 hours unattended like one can do with the AMS for 6-8.
                          Charbroil SFB
                          GOSM
                          MES
                          Dutch Ovens and other CI
                          Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                          Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scarbelly View Post
                            that had actually crossed my mind :-)

Originally posted by Big D
                            I am waiting for ALX to produce these for us :)

By the way ALX cut off the handle to the metel rings, add some out door screen door screening to each mesh with a hobby chain. And you got a herm basket.
                            what's a herm basket ?

the heat won't jump on this erain. the dust channels are oval in crossection, so quite a big gap between the active sections plus the real hotspot is down the centre of the channel, the edges only have a little dust in them.
                            also the mesh doesn't transmit the heat to the frame very efficiently, which in this case is a good thing.
                            plus due to open plan nature of the basket/frame. there's plenty of air surrounding the mesh which keeps everything else fairly cool.
                            you can see from how it melted the bin lid that it only generated that kind of heat in a very narrow section at the bottom of the channel - very little heat coming out sideways.

No you probably can't scale up the ams design as it stands.
                            but if you used oval channels - still in the ss with big holes - and linked them via a frame, or just at the edges with maybe a small reinforcing strip on the bottom, you can probably make it any size you like.

i think once it's running in the outlaw without the breeze it's had in the test burns, 12 hours might be a very conservative estimate. given the extra mesh layers i'm expecting it to slow down on the corners.

might fire it up sunday - out all day saturday.
                            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
                              Needlepoint maybe. Or set them out at different yardage for some sling practice. I remember one of my jobs as a kid was to clean my dads woodshop. I use to burn all the scraps, but the dust was my favorite pouring it high above the fire mixed with some magnesium shavings from the lathe.
                              lol if i could hit a target that small with any kind of consistency, i'd go looking for goliath

magnesium is pretty cool
                              i did contemplate getting the sawdust to burn with a little chemical 'help'.
                              but you do have to be careful these days, eh rich ?
                              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                              X