Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for tips on stuffing summer sausage type casings

Right I've got a bunch of big ol' fibre casings thanks to the richtee

So want some tips on stuffing, tying them.

I figure use the biggest tube, hold the casing it against the tube with my hand and let it out gradually as I stuff. Or is there a better way ?
    Is it easier to ignore the stuffer and just shove it in the casing by hand. These are 3.58 (or thereabouts) inch diameter casings - so easy to do by hand.

Also tying the end - presumably a basic knot - or is there some secret knot ?

I don't have one of the ring crimpers :-)

As the casings are 27 inches I figure I'll make two out of each one. that way it'll fit in the smoker easier :-)

I think I'm okay with the actual sausage, just wanted to pick some brains first on the actual stuffing mechanics :-)

Cheers
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

When yo are stuffing it, be sure to pack the meat as it goes in TIGHTLY... Pushing out any air pockets...

If you do not have any Hog Ring Crimpers, I sudjest twisting them tight and then just tie a good knot on the end..
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Maybe you could swing it over your head like a sling LOL. Like said, just make sure it's tight and no air pockets.

Comment

For starters, those casings need to be soaked in hot water.....with perhaps a drop or two of vinegar added.........for at least an hour before stuffing. This is needed to soften them up so they will flex and expand easily. Then as TH says, hold on tight and pack them tight. Use the largest stuffing tube you have and a little extra water in the sausage won't hurt to push it through the tube and out of the stuffer. You need water for the nitrite cure anyway.

The traditional way of sealing them off was a piece of twine, and there is a special butterfly knot that ties in the rolled up end, so later on the weight of the hanging sausage doesn't allow the knot and string to slide off the end. In place of the string, you could also use a short length of wire. Hold the sausage upside down, spin it to twist it down as tight as possible, then twist on a short length of wire......14 gauge copper electrical wire.....stripped down to bare copper.....is about right. Use pliers and twist it very tight. Same role and purpose as a hog ring. Leave some casing tail to flare out for the ring.....errr wire.....to hang onto.

Comment

I've only stuffed them a couple of times and nothing that large. All sounds like good advice (except the slinging...lol)... Ryteks book has that special knot for hanging them and squeeze them as tight as ya can. The copper wire sounds like a great idea without the rings, which I did not have either. Keep us posted Mate!
          sigpic

Comment

I've used regular ole twist ties in the past with success.
            sigpic

GOSM/propane
            UDS (Cam)/lump
            22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
            Weber Genesis/propane
            Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

Easiest casing to stuff in my opinion. Easy to get on the tube and no blowouts. It helps to have some help tying while you hold the twist, but it can be done solo.
              Keith

Comment

Originally posted by lcruzen View Post
                I've used regular ole twist ties in the past with success.
                Originally posted by Kingudaroad View Post
                Easiest casing to stuff in my opinion. Easy to get on the tube and no blowouts. It helps to have some help tying while you hold the twist, but it can be done solo.
                Great Points.... This is my first attempt at "multiple quotes"

I did do a batch of (4) 2.5 pounders where I did not hang them, but just layed them on the rack & it worked out great. I did clean my racks really good first though so none of the Black marks on the casings.... Just a thought.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                  When yo are stuffing it, be sure to pack the meat as it goes in TIGHTLY... Pushing out any air pockets...

If you do not have any Hog Ring Crimpers, I sudjest twisting them tight and then just tie a good knot on the end..
                  So basicly use the stuffer, makes sense. I was just trying to be lazy and avoid the washing up :-)

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
                  Maybe you could swing it over your head like a sling LOL. Like said, just make sure it's tight and no air pockets.
                  Now there's a thought

Originally posted by Kingudaroad View Post
                  Just as well 'cos it's going to be

Hogwarden - I never add water to my sausage, but i was thinking about adding extra beer :-)

If I'm adding liquid I use something that will either help the flavour or texture of the sausage - or both. Beer is my standard liquid. Can't think of a sausage that doesn't benefit from swapping water for beer
                  Thanks for the reminder about soaking - I'd forgotten it said that on the butcher and packer website

And yep scott I'm planning on resting and cooking them laying down. Haven't got anywhere to really hang them, and to be honest not sure it's a necessity, just an easier way of getting most in a standard smoker or making most of space when drying.
                  Black lines on the casing aren't an issue as the casing is going to be removed before I slice :-)
                  Plus I use the stainless trays from the bradley to cook most things in the outlaw these day and the clean up real quick with the wire brush.

Thanks for tips guys - going to mix and grind tonight.
                  And smoke either friday or saturday. Trying to avoid booking a job friday, but sometimes you just crack and answer the bloody phone lol

Full details when done !

Seasoning wise I'm going to start with my basic BB seasoning, add lots of fresh garlic and some mad hunky for colour and a little savoury seasoning.
                  And beer - obviously ;-)

Thinking about using a finer grind as well, I'm after a fairly smooth textured final sausage.

Right thanks again - catch you later :-)
                  Last edited by curious aardvark; 06-02-2010, 11:55 AM.
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

All good advice so far CA. The soaking is necessary for the fiberous casings. Usually they have a pretied end. I use that one to hang them. The other end I just use the butcher string and a plain old square knot. Before tying it off, I check for air bubbles. If I see any I pop them with a pin and keep twisting the end. It will force the air out and pack it tighter. Never had any issues with blowouts.
                    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                    New Braunfels Bandera
                    UniFlame Gas Grill
                    Lil Chief

Comment

Belive it or not I've used plastic zip ties.smoked at low temps I dont even think twice about it
                      2-22.5'' weber
                      1-18'' weber
                      1 smokey joe
                      22.5'' wsm
                      24'' smoke vault
                      1-outhouse
                      Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                      Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Originally posted by minnbill View Post
                        Belive it or not I've used plastic zip ties.smoked at low temps I dont even think twice about it
                        Yep, dad does the same. Usually the paper coated ones, though.
                        S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                        CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                        New Braunfels Bandera
                        UniFlame Gas Grill
                        Lil Chief

Comment

Looking forward to the results mate! The innards sound yummie!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by minnbill View Post
                            Used string for quite a few years, felt like an idiot 4 or 5 years ago when a friend asked why I didn't use zip ties..... works great, you can purchase them in many colors for color coding flavors; it really was a no brainer.
                            --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
                            www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

I did consider them but then thought - maybe they'd melt.

If they don't melt - I'll use them next time
                              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                              X