Portuguese Linguisa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portuguese Linguisa

Today I did a batch of Portuguese Linguisa i got the recipe off the internet the recipe called for a port wine in the sausage so I used some homemade apple wine that was made by a buddy of mine this is an ok sausage I will not be making it again I have done better it smells great but the taste is different
    I made this for a buddy who is Portuguese he enjoyed the sausage but agrees I have and do make a better sausage

here is the recipe that I used

10 lbs. pork butt
    2 tspns. Prague Powder #1 (USA)
    4-1/2 Tblspns (1.8%) salt
    4 tblspns. sweet Hungarian paprika
    1 tblspn. garlic powder
    1 tblspn. coriander
    1 tblspn. red pepper flakes
    1 tblspn. sugar
    1 tspn. cumin
    1 tspn. powdered ginger
    2 tspns. black pepper
    2 cups soy protein concentrate
    5 oz. Greek Xinomavro wine (or good Italian red burgundy)
    1 cup ice water

Grind the pork using your largest plate. (1/2 inches is ideal but 3/8” will suffice). Set aside 7 lbs. of the ground pork and put the remaining meat through a 3/16” plate. Mix all the meat together and knead it to develop the proteins. Place the cure into the cup of icewater and stir the mixture evenly throughout the meat. Add the remaining ingredients and continue to mix the meat until a sticky meat paste is developed and shows “soft peaks” when pulled apart. Stuff into 36 m.m. hog casings and place 5 inch links on smokesticks inside a preheated smoker at 150°F. (66°C.). When the sausage appears to be dry to the touch after thirty or forty minutes, raise the smokehouse temperature gradually (only a couple of degrees every ten to fifteen minutes) to 160° introducing light smoke for an hour. After an hour, raise the smoker temperature once more to 165°F. (74°C) while continuing the smoke if desired. When the sausage reaches the internal temperature of 150° F. (66°C.). Finally, immediately shower the sausage with cold water until it drops to room temperature. Refrigerate the sausage, as this is a smoked-cooked product, not a dry-cured sausage.

and here are the pics

Happyness is a full smoker

Looks good Huey, are you going to find a different recipe then or try and tweek this one?
    --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
    www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Mossy I dont think I will be doing any of this again there are lots of different recipes out there I tried it and think I will move on to something else

Comment

Good lord I want some!
        Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
        Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
        SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
        Yoder Wichita
        Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
        Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
        Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Looks good, sorry ya didn't like it. I was wondering if it was a flavor or texture issue you had with it? I've made it once but it didn't have cumin or ginger in it it also had some vinegar added. It wasn't to bad.
          sigpic

Comment

DanMcG i just do not like the taste of it its not bad I will eat what I made but I will not make anymore

Comment

looks pretty good.

But the cumin and ginger don't belong with the other spices and the less said about greek wine the better
              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

well so far everyone I have given some to likes it so it must be my taster is messed up LOL I have been thinking of trying other recipes will post more then

Comment

Hey Huey...one of the recommended apps for the meat glue is just what this sausage needs... the protien development/mixing can be skipped.

Interesting flavors there... some of the spanich and Port sausages are out there a bit.
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Well Huey it looks really good... to bad we can't taste test it for you.

I personally think the ingred. list is good...nothing weird in there

Comment

Originally posted by Wingman View Post
                      Good lord I want some!
                      X2
                      There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

That doesn't sound like the linguisa I make ... I love the stuff

I love this stuff. Again I toned down the heat because these are also Christmas gifts but kept the flavor. They will aslo be smoked shortly.

Portuguese Linguisa
                        8 pounds of pork butt
                        2 pounds of bacon trims
                        2 diced red bell peppers
                        5 tablespoons dextrose
                        3 tablespoons kosher salt
                        3 tablespoons Spanish paprika
                        5 teaspoons Ames Phos
                        1 tablespoon Marjoram
                        1 tablespoon white pepper
                        1 tablespoon garlic
                        2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
                        1 teaspoon Allspice
                        3/4 cup red wine

Grind using a 3/8 inch plate. Mix ingredients and let sit overnight. Stuff using large casing.
                        Smoke at 120°F for one hour then raise temperature of the smoker to 180°F and smoke to an internal temperature of 160°F.

The spice mix

and the stuffed sausages

the smoked Linguisa ... pretty darned good!

BTW I love the AMes Phos. Been using it for about 6 years now Ed Ames recommended it and it keep the meat moist.
                        Smokers:
                        ECB -The Brinkman All-In-One Bullet type Water smoker aka -Baby Bink)Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 Inch propane smoke (aka -Black Beauty)
                        SunJoy horizontal with left side firebox (aka - Lefty Lucy)
                        River Grille - Black Ceramic Egg (aka Black Egg)

Smoke preference:Combination of Charcoal, Hickory, Apple, Cherry & Pecan wood.

Comment

Ya Deb I went with a recipe that I had all ingredients on hand did not want to spend a lot on spices that I would not be using much will try your recipe next

What is this Ames Phos and where do I buy it is it a binder like soy protein
                          Last edited by salmonclubber; 05-16-2011, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Man, it looks good Huey ...... Too bad it did'nt turn out to your liking..... Maybe some Razor Clams in there would turn it around
                            sigpic

Comment

Huey -
                              Ed Ames from the ingredient stores make Ames Phos. It's a blended phophate that add a nice texture and flavor by retaining moisture, during making, cooking and freezing. Amesphos, specialty sodium triphosphate blend for meats, seafood and poultry. I've been using it for about 10 years now and I really like it. Ed's a really nice guy too.

http://store.theingredientstore.com/amesphos.aspx

I he's the same guy that created the FAB meat enhancers you see so much these days. He has some nice products.
                              Smokers:
                              ECB -The Brinkman All-In-One Bullet type Water smoker aka -Baby Bink)Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 Inch propane smoke (aka -Black Beauty)
                              SunJoy horizontal with left side firebox (aka - Lefty Lucy)
                              River Grille - Black Ceramic Egg (aka Black Egg)

Smoke preference:Combination of Charcoal, Hickory, Apple, Cherry & Pecan wood.

Comment

Working...
                              X