Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Country Style Ribs…to Pork Tacos…to Pozole

Country Style Ribs…to Pork Tacos…to Pozole

A coupla sundays ago I was looking for something to smoke during football. I keep seeing CSR’s on these sites, but have never smoked them, let alone tasted them. I knew that they wouldn’t take too long either since the shoulder strips are cut so small. So I did a 3-2-1 on them. Covered in Maple Syrup, then a good dose of rub.

Kingsford Blue Bag w/ Hickory chips & chunks

Here they are, charred them up on the grill to finish them off

After deciding I wasn’t a CSR fan (felt like I was biting into straight fat), I trimmed the fat out and cut nice small size pieces of good meat out. Now I could really enjoy the flavor/texture. I made pork tacos that night for dinner w/ the CSR meat

My mother-in-law was staying at our house the past couple of weeks to help out with our fam’s new addition, and she came to the rescue with the CSR leftovers. She whipped up a pot full of Pozole, which was fantastic!

Side Note: Did I mention she made homemade chile rellenos the following night?

That's to bad you did not like them....... They are a good fat-lean mix for sausage if you have any left .... The Pozole looks really good! ... Care to expand on that? .... I could have googled it, but its better from the real source
    sigpic

Comment

Well them ribs certainly looks mouthwatering.
      But more importantly, how do I coax you out of the recipe for Pozole? It is homemade right? Haven't had a good pozole since we left El Paso years ago
      https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post
        But more importantly, how do I coax you out of the recipe for Pozole? Haven't had a good pozole since we left El Paso years ago
        You so right on that...Me tooo...Was at Alamagordo/Holloman AFB...
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Love the Pozole.One of my wintertime favorites
          sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

Thats to bad that you didnt like the csr +I myself can eat them till I pop But everything looked great
            2-22.5'' weber
            1-18'' weber
            1 smokey joe
            22.5'' wsm
            24'' smoke vault
            1-outhouse
            Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
            Smoked meathead #135

Comment

looks good as all heck............
              sigpic
              it's all good my friend..........

Comment

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                SCOTT

Comment

Recipe

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                  That's to bad you did not like them....... They are a good fat-lean mix for sausage if you have any left .... The Pozole looks really good! ... Care to expand on that? .... I could have googled it, but its better from the real source
                  It is a shame I didnt like them. I dont get it...it's pork shoulder, I should love them. Recipe as close as she makes it is below

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post
                  Well them ribs certainly looks mouthwatering.
                  But more importantly, how do I coax you out of the recipe for Pozole? It is homemade right? Haven't had a good pozole since we left El Paso years ago
                  Here is the closest recipe I could find to how she made it. Add some diced Green Chile's though

-1 large head garlic
                  -12 cups water
                  -4 cups chicken broth
                  -4 pounds country-style pork ribs
                  -1 teaspoon dried oregano (preferably Mexican), crumbled
                  -2 ounces dried New Mexico red chiles
                  -1 1/2 cups boiling-hot water
                  -1/4 large white onion
                  -3 teaspoons salt
                  -two 30-ounce cans white hominy (preferably Bush's Best)
                  -8 corn tortillas
                  -about 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil

Accompaniments:
                  diced avocado
                  thinly sliced iceberg or romaine lettuce
                  chopped white onion
                  diced radishes
                  lime wedges
                  dried oregano
                  dried hot red pepper flakes

Preparation:
                  Peel garlic cloves and reserve 2 for chile sauce. Slice remaining garlic. In a 7- to 8-quart heavy kettle bring water and broth just to a boil with sliced garlic and pork. Skim surface and add oregano. Gently simmer pork, uncovered, until tender, about 1 1/2 hours.

While pork is simmering, wearing protective gloves, discard stems from chiles and in a bowl combine chiles with boiling-hot water. Soak chiles, turning them occasionally, 30 minutes. Cut onion into large pieces and in a blender purée with chiles and soaking liquid, reserved garlic, and 2 teaspoons salt until smooth.

Transfer pork with tongs to a cutting board and reserve broth mixture. Shred pork, using 2 forks, and discard bones. Rinse and drain hominy. Return pork to broth mixture and add chile sauce, hominy, and remaining teaspoon salt. Simmer pozole 30 minutes and, if necessary, season with salt. Pozole may be made 2 days ahead and chilled, covered.

While pozole is simmering, stack tortillas and halve. Cut halves crosswise into thin strips. In a 9- to 10-inch skillet heat 1/2 inch oil until hot but not smoking and fry tortilla strips in 3 or 4 batches, stirring occasionally, until golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer tortilla strips with a slotted spoon as fried to brown paper or paper towels to drain. Transfer tortilla strips to a bowl. Tortilla strips may be made 1 day ahead and kept, covered, at room temperature.

Serve pozole with tortilla strips and bowls of accompaniments

Comment

Thanks TD, very much appreciated. And by the way, if she makes a mean Menudo, send me that one as well.
                    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Damn, that all looks very good!

Comment

It all looks absolutely wonderful.

Tom

Comment

I appreciate the recipe!
                          Sunset Eagle Aviation
                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

never heard of pozole but I want to try it now. Wow! your pork prices are high there.

Comment

I think if you would have left them foiled a bit longer, most of the fat would have rendered out of the meat.... Plus keeping them foiled you should not have had any issues of the meat drying out..

Just ones opinion..

Oh if you do decide to try it again... Try not to pay $3.99 a pound.. Wow!
                              Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Working...
                              X