Beef Bottom Round.....whole?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beef Bottom Round.....whole?

Anyone ever smoke a whole bottom round? I (without me readers on) thought I was buyin a brisket.... Looks like in in the plastic.. ..
    I'm figgurin on cookin it like a brisket tomorrow fo de Race!
    I'll get some pics as I prep it, not quite sure what to expect when I open the wrapper!.....

K so here how it went!

K so here is the Bottom Round Roast, aka(briskit)!

Open the package,

Here is the part I was worried about, fraid that would run the whole way through.

Butt it didn't, trimmed up real nice.

Then it got Hunkied an mojo'd an rosemary'd an a couple other things... and bagged fer on overnight visit to the fridge.

Smoker time!

Bout 9 hours later @225ish (int 140°) an a good rest an some chill time...maybe a test sample or two.. Sliced in half, wouldn't fit on me slicer whole.

All sliced,

An all bagged up!

Got 12 1lbish bags fer the freezer plus a couple nice chunks from the ends.
    Not much waste at all. Really tender, great flavor. If I gotta mess up, this was a good mess up! I like it!

Almost fergot to mention, the meat was sittin on a grate an I had taters n ooions n green pappa n leek sittin underneath it...soakin up that golden juice. Skimmed off the fat (not that much) and got that saved in the freezer too!
    Last edited by Mark R; 02-24-2015, 02:22 PM.
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Fergot to mention, it's 15lbs.
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

If it was the rump portion, I might be able to help.

That part, looking forward to seeing what you do.

Good luck
      Pete
      Large BGE
      Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

ya know...Cat Daddy Phil, posted a beef gig on FB...can't remember the cut...dern sure looked bad tasty! obtw...i hear ya on the readers...my go to for em----->http://www.boomersintheknow.com/
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

How'd it come out?
          Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Originally posted by IrishChef View Post
            How'd it come out?
            It was (is) great. Much nicer cut of meat than I was expecting. Was expecting some fat globs in the middle, but there wasn't. Real happy with it
            I'll get some pics up tomorrow.
            Mark
            sigpic

Comment

K so here is the Bottom Round Roast, aka(briskit)!

Open the package,

Here is the part I was worried about, fraid that would run the whole way through.

Butt it didn't, trimmed up real nice.

Then it got Hunkied an mojo'd an rosemary'd an a couple other things... and bagged fer on overnight visit to the fridge.

Smoker time!

Bout 9 hours later @225ish (int 140°) an a good rest an some chill time...maybe a test sample or two.. Sliced in half, wouldn't fit on me slicer whole.

All sliced,

An all bagged up!

Got 12 1lbish bags fer the freezer plus a couple nice chunks from the ends.
              Not much waste at all. Really tender, great flavor. If I gotta mess up, this was a good mess up! I like it!

Almost fergot to mention, the meat was sittin on a grate an I had taters n ooions n green pappa n leek sittin underneath it...soakin up that golden juice. Skimmed off the fat (not that much) and got that saved in the freezer too!
              Mark
              sigpic

Comment

Never seen anything like that but it looks wonderful sliced. Going to make some good sandwiches...open roast beef with gravy over mashed potatoes is what I'm thinking!
                Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                Weber Smokey Joe
                Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                Pink Thermapen
                Purple Thermapen

Comment

Originally posted by sweet_magnolia View Post
                  Never seen anything like that but it looks wonderful sliced. Going to make some good sandwiches...open roast beef with gravy over mashed potatoes is what I'm thinking!
                  Ohh yea, I like the way you thinkin! That was the goal, some bags in the freezer to make easy meals with. I think the yield was much better with this than would have been with brisket.
                  Mark
                  sigpic

Comment

Nice sammich material for sure
                    Bottom round is also great for pastrami.
                    sigpic
                    New Braunfels Bandera
                    New Braunfels Hondo
                    4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                    1-26" Weber Kettle
                    24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
                    Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

You certainly made the most of a mistake exceptionally well I'd say. Looks to me like you nailed that baby. In your defense, it does kinda look like a packer..

Great job Mark.
                      Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                      My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                      @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Bad booger looking tasty!
                        Sunset Eagle Aviation
                        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Nice recovery....
                          Brisket woulda been good but that is a nice stash of very nice beef...
                          Craig
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                            Nice recovery....
                            Brisket woulda been good but that is a nice stash of very nice beef...
                            I think for what I wanted I came out better with the round.
                            Mark
                            sigpic

Comment

Looks great! Did it take 9 hours to get to 140 or was that including the rest and chill time? If it didn't take 9 hours on smoker, about how long did it take? I'd like to find me a big one like that but never see them over 5lbs.
                              Yoder YS480
                              Maverick 732
                              Tappecue
                              Thermapen

Comment

Working...
                              X